2020 THEME: Information Architecture is Elemental
Each part counts for its own purpose. But all elements must work together. The meaning behind it is the IA element.
The World IA Day was created to celebrate Information Architecture (IA) and to empower local leaders keep growing and sharing within their communities.
In 2020, more than anything, we want to reinforce this celebration – highlighting how IA is Elemental (or integral) to having the best results.
How IA ties and binds different ideas involved, the end users, the stakeholders, the designers and the developers. How IA is often the bridge element between them all and tying together through understanding. How IA filters the noise for a better collaboration for a growing community.
he IA element is the one that ties past, present and future.
Excellence in Design. Excellence in Thinking. Excellence in Usability.
With the dissolution of the Institute of Information Architecture (IAI) in 2019, the main institution behind WIAD, we will be carrying the torch from now on.
More than ever, our goal is clearer with the words of the IAI: to get the word out about this important practice, so more people have the words for this work and can therefore better educate themselves and others on it.
IA is elemental. We want to go back to the basics, to the simplicity and rebirth stronger. Surprises are the rule – this is Practical IA, the balance between rigid, flexible and strong ideas.
In this year of celebration we will showcase where we have come from, how IA has made a difference in our lives and way of accessing knowledge. We will show where we are pushing the boundaries today, and we will bring the spotlight to the future of this ever important discipline.
In our celebrations we seek to show:
- How it is essential to have the skills and learn the skills,
- To showcase the past and present of how IA has made a difference, a forum for:
- case studies,
- showcasing methodologies,
- other successes in the field… how it has progressed over the years and where it is going.
- How can we channel our thoughts to focus and refocus on what’s fundamental for IA.
The number of newcomers who attend WIADs around the world is increasing, and people get fascinated about the community aspect inside the IA network. How strong is IA in your community? How can we make inroads to bring others to the field early on? The have not only aspiring Doctors and Lawyers, but those wanting to be be future Information Architects!
IA is essential, IA is key, IA is Elemental.
2019 LOCAL & GLOBAL GIVEAWAYS
Many thanks to WIAD Global for our local and global prizes! Be sure to attend in order to win.
2019 PAST SCHEDULE
9:00 am: Registration & Breakfast 10:00 am: WIAD Open and Welcome remarks
10:30 am: Session 1: Talks. (3 options)
- Maggie Ollove: Who are we leaving behind and how do we fix it?
- Jordan Higgins: 7 Senses of Architecture for Building Accessible Immersive Experiences
- Rachel Weatherly: What We Can All Learn from One University’s Journey to Accessibility
11:35 am: Session 2: Talks, Lightning Talks. (3 options)
- Natalie Mandriko: Experiential session: Emotional design to ease moms out of guilt and shame
- Colin Eagan: Architecting Personalized Experiences
- Janice Chan: How can we improve our defaults through IA?
- David Herring & Heather Myers: Built-in Accessibility for Design Systems and Libraries
- Dian Holton: Designing for gender and age-specific underrepresented audiences
- Guillermo Galdamez: Governance: Designing for continuous listening
12:35 pm: Lunch On your own
01:50 pm: Session 3: Workshop
- Jeff Pass: Architecting IA Industry Events for Diversity & Inclusion
- Assisted by Ali Tolbolsky, Glennette Clark, Daniel Newman, and Asha Singh
03:15 pm: Session 4: Keynote
- Stacy Surla: Being an Ethical IA
04:30 pm: WIAD DC Close & Raffles
05:00 pm: Happy Hour, sponsored by UXPA DC!
We’ve selected our speakers for this year’s event. Send them a congratulations on Twitter or LinkedIn, and get inspired for their upcoming sessions!
WIAD DC is 100 percent volunteer and 100 percent sponsor-dependent. That means that every pencil, pen, piece of paper, raffle ticket, and sticky note we use is donated or paid for by a sponsor. Below we have detailed a few of our packages, but we are always open to discuss these and other options with you to find what works best. All of our sponsorship packages include your logo on the WIAD DC website as well as the Global WIAD DC page, social media promotion, recognition during the event, and additional benefits that can include promotional signage and complimentary tickets depending on the selection.
We offer live streaming and recording. Be the reason exciting content from stellar speakers is documented for years to come!
$1,000 – $1,500
Help introduce amazing speakers to the DC community. Past speakers include WIAD founder, Abby Covert, and Christina Wodtke, among many others!
$1,000 – $2,000
Swag comes in all shapes and sizes and we’ll work with you to incorporate your goodies into our celebration!
Every year, a few dedicated UX professionals organize this event. We come from diverse backgrounds and have different specialities. The thing that brings us together is our love for all things information architecture. We are organizers, heart and mind, and we are always excited to bring together all the amazing individuals from the DC design community. Feel free to reach out to any of us at any time!
ELAINE HEINZMAN, Publicis Sapient
HEATHER MYERS, Publicis Sapient
JAMIE BRESNER, Library of Congress
NATALIE BUDA SMITH, Library of Congress
RENU PAVATE, Publicis Sapient
SHIVANI ANEJA, EPAM Systems
SILVIA BROWN, Publicis Sapient
VANESSA VARIN, Publicis Sapient